[OE-core] FETCHCMD drop breaks build when append is used (from patch b259bd31eb)

Andrey Zhizhikin andrey.z at gmail.com
Sat Aug 31 18:03:53 UTC 2019

On Fri, Aug 30, 2019 at 4:41 PM Andre McCurdy <armccurdy at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think for the specific case of usernames and passwords the advice
> would be to put them in .netrc etc rather than trying to append to the
> fetcher command lines (but mainly for security reasons rather than
> this issue).

This I do agree, but it is only related to the username/passwd
combination for a local user to perform a local fetch. Sometimes
however this append might be needed for authentication tokens for
CI/CD systems running in containers. In this case it would be quite
tricky to do it via .netrc (IMHO).

> One answer could be that modifications of the fetcher command lines
> should be done by completely defining them rather than appending. I'm
> not sure how reasonable that is though.

I believe in this case we would fall back to the original solution,
where defaults were defined in bitbake.conf file.

> In the end the approach to fixing this depends on whether appending to
> the default fetcher commands is considered valid usage or not... and I
> don't know the answer to that.

I guess the best course of action should be to check whether appends
are introduced in the fetcher class and use them if they are. This
need to be confirmer with BItbak people though.

--
Regards,
Andrey.