[OE-core] Should patchtest warn on Upstream-Status: Pending ?

Alexander Kanavin alex.kanavin at gmail.com
Sun Dec 15 19:16:26 UTC 2019

I used to have similar ideas, but... there is already too few people doing
the recipe upgrade work. I would not want to reduce that number even
further by adding more barriers and requirements. It's always possible for
a human reviewer to ask to send the patch upstream, if it's likely to cause
upgrade headaches.

There have been situations where people do upstream patches later than they
are added to oe-core; I've upstreamed parallel rpm work, and gobject
introspection cross compile support that way. Those are significant
features, and it's best to thoroughly test and refine them first before
going upstream.

As for updates, I am regularly able to remove 'Pending' patches during
upgrades; this means they did make it to upstream one way or another, or
upstream fixed the issue independently, or the code was refactored and the
whole issue is moot.

Otherwise, if I am seeing a 'Pending' patch during upgrades and it cannot
be trivially rebased, tested or even understood, and dropping the patch
does not create build failures and passes the AB tests, to me that is good
enough to simply drop the patch. If people add complex, invasive patches
and don't bother to upstream them, then there is a good chance they will be
removed some time down the road. This kind of removal happens, but very
infrequently.

There have also been situations where recipes accumulated so much cruft
over the years (not just a pile of patches) that upgrades that preserve
existing recipe become nigh-impossible; in that case I re-write the whole
mess from scratch (e.g. perl, python3, rpm, webkit).

I don't think the pending patches are a particularly bad problem; also,
their number has declined since last year.

Alex