[OE-core] wic creates ext4 images that read really slow in u-boot

Leon Woestenberg leon at sidebranch.com
Tue Feb 19 17:13:15 UTC 2019

Hello Mike,

sounds familiar.

On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 at 17:55, Mike Looijmans <mike.looijmans at topic.nl>
wrote:

> Took me a while to figure out why my board took 90 seconds to boot
> suddenly.
>
> The issue turned out to be the ext4 partition created by wic.

I suspect it's not WIC's fault.

> ZynqMP> load mmc 0:2 0x100000 /lib/firmware/fpga.bin
> 19311092 bytes read in 85529 ms (219.7 KiB/s)
>
> Now if I boot the board rename and copy that file onto itself, then it's
> suddenly normal again when I reboot the board:
>
> ZynqMP> load mmc 0:2 0x10000
> I'm not knowledgeable on ext4, so any ideas what's being passed onto the
> image
> creation tool that causes this?

I suspect your version of U-Boot does not handle files spread across
multiple filesystems (allocation) extends efficiently.

Copying the file makes the copy being layed out in one extend probably.

I am aware of two fixes for U-Boot. I will look them up, and reply again to
this thread.

Regards, Leon
--
Leon Woestenberg