[OE-core] [AUH] u-boot: upgrading to 2019.01 FAILED

Alexander Kanavin alex.kanavin at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 12:19:10 UTC 2019

On Sat, 19 Jan 2019 at 08:03, Marek Vasut <marek.vasut at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Can AUH be fixed please ?
> >
> > We have previously discussed this: fixing devtool to upgrade several
> > recipes in a single transaction is non-trivial as it operates on one
> > recipe at a time.
>
> Can you elaborate what needs to be done to fix this ?

You would need to teach devtool, specifically 'devtool upgrade',
'devtool finish' and 'devtool reset' to operate on several recipes in
a single transaction. Particularly, the operations need to be atomic -
either they succeed for all recipes or fail for all. They shouldn't
leave some recipes in an updated state, and other not. This is rather
non-trivial, as devtool is designed throughout to handle only one
recipe per operation. Also, it would be something of a corner case, as
something like 99% of recipes don't share include files, and so don't
need this.

That said, we can still easily make things better by dropping ${PV}
from u-boot-common.inc. That way devtool would still update u-boot
recipes one by one, but it would be able to build the result, so
you'll know straight away where the issues are. Then just apply the
patches using 'git am --3way' as they would all make the same change
to SRCREV, squash into one (if you want) and send to oe-core. I'll
send the ${PV} fix in a moment.

Alex