[OE-core] build failures due to pigz host tool

Richard Purdie richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Thu Jul 4 22:28:43 UTC 2019

On Thu, 2019-07-04 at 16:57 +0100, Richard Purdie wrote:
> On Thu, 2019-07-04 at 10:27 -0400, Trevor Woerner wrote:
> > On Wed 2019-07-03 @ 05:10:14 PM, Richard Purdie wrote:
> > > Is there any way you could try pigz 2.4 on your machine, see if
> > > the
> > > problem still occurred there? If you do rebuild pigz, could you
> > > apply
> > > the debug patch in master-next?
> >
> > I've updated the pigz in the $PATH jenkins sees to pigz-2.4.
> >
> > However, my builds are always updated automatically and always
> > build
> > from master; there's no way to insert ad-hoc patches into a build.
>
> That is fine, even just the PATH adjustment will be interesting to
> see
> the results with, thanks!
>
> Was that version of pigz patched? FWIW I've patched the one on our
> opensuse151 worker so we'll see if that helps shed any light on
> things.

and it did:

http://errors.yoctoproject.org/Errors/Details/250609/

pigz: abort: internal threads error (16, 10)

which means from:

http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit.cgi/poky/commit/?h=master-next&id=110ccb56b88af177c0153741a31a9d34b1f75abf

+     if ((ret = pthread_cond_destroy(&(bolt->cond))) ||
+         (ret = pthread_mutex_destroy(&(bolt->mutex))))
+-        fail(ret);
++        fail(ret, 10);
+     my_free(bolt);

so pthread_cond_destroy or pthread_mutex_destroy returned EBUSY.
Further digging required but at least we know which code path we're on.
I wonder if suse did something odd to libpthread...