[OE-core] SDK does not contain pkg-config files

Ross Burton ross.burton at intel.com
Wed Jul 31 12:37:01 UTC 2019

On 31/07/2019 06:47, Mike Looijmans wrote:
> I'm trying to get the SDK to work, but no success because the SDK apparently
> does not install any pkg-config file, resulting in autotools and cmake not
> being able to find any library.
>
> Built the SDK using "bitbake -c populate_sdk image"
>
> Install the resulting SDK, and source the shell script.
>
> Building "helloworld" works. Building something slightly more advanced fails,
> because pkg-config isn't working: "pkg-config --list-all" is empty.
>
> The cause is that the pkgconfig files simply aren't in the sysroot:
>
> $ echo $PKG_CONFIG_PATH
> /home/mike/p/sysroots/cortexa9t2hf-neon-oe-linux-gnueabi/usr/lib/pkgconfig:/home/mike/p/sysroots/cortexa9t2hf-neon-oe-linux-gnueabi/usr/share/pkgconfig
> $ ls /home/mike/p/sysroots/cortexa9t2hf-neon-oe-linux-gnueabi/usr/lib/pkgconfig
> ls: cannot access
> '/home/mike/p/sysroots/cortexa9t2hf-neon-oe-linux-gnueabi/usr/lib/pkgconfig':
> No such file or directory
> $ ls /home/mike/p/sysroots/cortexa9t2hf-neon-oe-linux-gnueabi/usr/share/pkgconfig
> ls: cannot access
> '/home/mike/p/sysroots/cortexa9t2hf-neon-oe-linux-gnueabi/usr/share/pkgconfig':
> No such file or directory

Looks like something went wrong.

My host has minimal -dev packages installed:

$ dpkg -l \*-dev|grep ii
ii  dpkg-dev                  1.19.7            all          Debian
package development tools
ii  libc6-dev:amd64           2.28-10           amd64        GNU C
Library: Development Libraries and Header Files
ii  libgcc-8-dev:amd64        8.3.0-6           amd64        GCC support
library (development files)
ii  libstdc++-8-dev:amd64     8.3.0-6           amd64        GNU
Standard C++ Library v3 (development files)
ii  linux-libc-dev:amd64      4.19.37-5+deb10u1 amd64        Linux
support headers for userspace development
ii  manpages-dev              4.16-2            all          Manual
pages about using GNU/Linux for development

But inside a core-image-minimal SDK:

$ ls sysroots/corei7-64-poky-linux/usr/lib/pkgconfig/ | head
blkid.pc
check.pc
com_err.pc
dbus-1.pc
dbus-glib-1.pc
e2p.pc
expat.pc
ext2fs.pc
fdisk.pc
form.pc

$ pkg-config  --list-all | head
zlib                  zlib - zlib compression library
gio-unix-2.0          GIO unix specific APIs - unix specific headers for
glib I/O library
libdw                 libdw - elfutils library for DWARF data and ELF
file or process inspection
libkmod               libkmod - Library to deal with kernel modules
applewmproto          AppleWMProto - AppleWM extension headers
gio-2.0               GIO - glib I/O library
dbus-glib-1           dbus-glib - GLib integration for the free desktop
message bus
xf86dgaproto          XF86DGAProto - XF86DGA extension headers
rpm                   RPM - RPM Package Manager
xcb-composite         XCB Composite - XCB Composite Extension

So, works for me?

Ross
Intel Corporation (UK) Limited
Registered No. 1134945 (England)