[OE-core] Cannot get bitbake multiconfig to work

Mike Looijmans mike.looijmans at topic.nl
Wed Mar 13 10:03:07 UTC 2019

I think I've done everything, but cannot figure out what step I missed.

I am using yesterday's "thud" branches:

BB_VERSION           = "1.40.0"
BUILD_SYS            = "x86_64-linux"
meta                 = "HEAD:fbb688ab3eeca1bbfbaaaaffd8c81fd8052bcc68"
meta-oe
meta-multimedia
meta-networking
meta-python          = "HEAD:6ef9657068492d4644079c88f2adee9c3cac9543"

I created a conf/multiconf directory with a "pmu.conf" file (and others)

$ cat conf/multiconfig/pmu.conf
MACHINE="zynqmp-pmu"
DISTRO="xilinx-standalone"
GCCVERSION="7.%"
TMPDIR="${TOPDIR}/pmutmp"

I added to my local.conf (and removed the MACHINE setting there):

BBMULTICONFIG = "pmu ..."

Now when I invoke bitbake with the multiconfig syntax, it completely ignores that:

$ bitbake multiconfig:pmu:pmu-firmware
ERROR:  OE-core's config sanity checker detected a potential misconfiguration.
     Either fix the cause of this error or at your own risk disable the
checker (see sanity.conf).
     Following is the list of potential problems / advisories:

     Please set a MACHINE in your local.conf or environment

Apparently, bitbake doesn't even care about the "multiconfig:" syntax, I get
the same response when I type:
$ bitbake multiconfig:blah:pmu-firmware
$ bitbake multiconfig:blah:blah
$ bitbake blah:blah:blah

I can add a "MACHINE?=" to local.conf, which results in a build for that
machine and nothing from the pmu.conf gets ever used at all.

So what step did I miss?