[OE-core] musl thoughts

Adrian Bunk bunk at stusta.de
Mon Mar 25 16:10:04 UTC 2019

On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 04:36:44PM +0100, Andrea Adami wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 23, 2019 at 11:00 PM Andreas Müller <schnitzeltony at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,

Hi Andrea,

> I am jumping in a little late to take side with Khem :)
>
> What happens now is that more 'bad' sources (written to suit glibc and
> thus not portable) are discovered by the wider base of developers and
> autobuilders.

but this does not apply to this example, which is a problem between
musl itself and the kernel headers.

Code can expect #include <foo.h> to work for any headers, and with any
order of these headers. If it does not, the 'bad' sources are whatever
sources provide the headers in question.

musl does provide net/ethernet.h, but including it causes a compile
error here.

> As Khem said, this just needs time and efforts to clean up and
> upstream the patches.

Any sane upstream will refuse such patches that add musl-specific hacks
with the wrong define to work around problems in musl itself.

> Cheers
> Andrea

cu
Adrian