[OE-core] How to backport openssl to Sumo

Ryan Harkin ryan.harkin at linaro.org
Wed Nov 20 18:18:05 UTC 2019

Hi all,

I'm struggling with backporting OpenSSL to my Sumo build [1], so wondered
if anyone else had done something similar with success.

I copied "meta/recipes-connectivity/openssl" from Poky master branch [2]
into my own layer [3]. It didn't pick up, so I discovered I needed to add
a PREFERRED_VERSION, eg:

+PREFERRED_VERSION_openssl ?= "1.1.%"
+PREFERRED_VERSION_openssl-native ?= "1.1.%"
+PREFERRED_VERSION_nativesdk-openssl ?= "1.1.%"

Now it builds fine. However, I no longer have /usr/bin/openssl in my disk
image.

It doesn't appear in FILES_${PN}, and adding it to the recipes doesn't seem
to make any difference.

What am I missing?

Thanks,
Ryan.

[1] I'm looking for CVE fixes, 1.0.2p has a lot of CVEs.

[2] http://git.yoctoproject.org/git/poky
I'm at SHA a616ffebdc, so I copied openssl_1.1.1d.bb and all the other
files in the directory.

[3] I have a clone of Linaro's meta-backports. I'm trying to generate a
patch to submit for review there.
https://git.linaro.org/openembedded/meta-backports.git