[OE-core] How to backport openssl to Sumo

Andre McCurdy armccurdy at gmail.com
Wed Nov 20 23:53:14 UTC 2019

On Wed, Nov 20, 2019 at 2:41 PM Ryan Harkin <ryan.harkin at linaro.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Nov 2019 at 21:29, Ryan Harkin <ryan.harkin at linaro.org> wrote:
>>
>> I pulled the whole openssl dir from your repo, added the layer.conf changes to my layer.conf and rebuilt openssl and my image.
>>
>> Unfortunately, I still have no /usr/bin/openssl in my disk image. So I've added the RPROVIDES from Andre's in a vain attempt to get it to work:
>>
>> RPROVIDES_${PN} += "openssl-bin"
>>
>> ... although I'm not hopeful it'll do the trick...
>
> It didn't work. Once thing that's puzzling me: where is the package "openssl-bin"? I can only find references to it, but no package.

The "openssl-bin" package is created by the openssl 1.1.x recipe.

Adding "openssl-bin" to RPROVIDES in the openssl 1.0.2 recipe is a
solution for users who are switching from openssl 1.1.x back to 1.0.2
and have an image which is tries to include the new openssl-bin
package. I don't think that's what you are trying to do (?).

If you are using openssl 1.0.2 then the openssl command line tool is
in the openssl package... so to include the openssl command line tool,
add the "openssl" package to your image.

If you are using openssl 1.1.x then the openssl command line tool is
in the openssl-bin package... so to include the openssl command line
tool, add the "openssl-bin" package to your image.

But anyway, in all cases, the way to debug what's going on isn't to
try random recipe changes and then rebuild the final image. Instead
you should build your chosen version of openssl, look in the
packages-split directory to see which package includes the openssl
command line tool and then add that package to your image.