[OE-core] How to backport openssl to Sumo

Ryan Harkin ryan.harkin at linaro.org
Thu Nov 21 13:15:31 UTC 2019

On Wed, 20 Nov 2019 at 23:53, Andre McCurdy <armccurdy at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 20, 2019 at 2:41 PM Ryan Harkin <ryan.harkin at linaro.org>
> wrote:
> > On Wed, 20 Nov 2019 at 21:29, Ryan Harkin <ryan.harkin at linaro.org>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> I pulled the whole openssl dir from your repo, added the layer.conf
> changes to my layer.conf and rebuilt openssl and my image.
> >>
> >> Unfortunately, I still have no /usr/bin/openssl in my disk image. So
> I've added the RPROVIDES from Andre's in a vain attempt to get it to work:
> >>
> >> RPROVIDES_${PN} += "openssl-bin"
> >>
> >> ... although I'm not hopeful it'll do the trick...
> >
> > It didn't work. Once thing that's puzzling me: where is the package
> "openssl-bin"? I can only find references to it, but no package.
>
> The "openssl-bin" package is created by the openssl 1.1.x recipe.
>
> Adding "openssl-bin" to RPROVIDES in the openssl 1.0.2 recipe is a
> solution for users who are switching from openssl 1.1.x back to 1.0.2
> and have an image which is tries to include the new openssl-bin
> package. I don't think that's what you are trying to do (?).

Correct. I only tried it because the 1.0.2t recipe wasn't working.

To be clear - I have /usr/bin/openssl in my image when using 1.0.2p from
the Poky Sumo branch. When I add the 1.0.2t recipe to my own layer, openssl
builds without errors, but I don't get the binary.

> If you are using openssl 1.0.2 then the openssl command line tool is
> in the openssl package... so to include the openssl command line tool,
> add the "openssl" package to your image.
>
> If you are using openssl 1.1.x then the openssl command line tool is
> in the openssl-bin package... so to include the openssl command line
> tool, add the "openssl-bin" package to your image.
>
> But anyway, in all cases, the way to debug what's going on isn't to
> try random recipe changes and then rebuild the final image. Instead
> you should build your chosen version of openssl, look in the
> packages-split directory to see which package includes the openssl
> command line tool and then add that package to your image.

I don't have a packages-split. I was unaware of it, and reading the manual,
it seems I should have one. But I don't. Running 'bitbake -e openssl | grep
"PKGDEST="' tells me I should have one, but there are no instances in a
directory called "packages-split" in my tmp dir.

Anyway, I'm giving up for now. I'll come back to another time... or more
likely, get someone smarter than me to sort it out ;-)