[OE-core] Disbanding SWAT team/process

Richard Purdie richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Thu Nov 21 15:09:02 UTC 2019

It is with reluctance, after discussion with the TSC, that we've
decided to disband the build failure SWAT process.

The reason is simple, there were no longer enough people willing to
participate in the process to make it viable.

This process was there to try and offload some of the build failure
handling (from me in particular) and try and engage a wider group of
developers with the patch review/testing process. This worked with a
rotating team of people ensuring failures were entered into the
bugzilla with the appropriate information. It worked on the assumption
that with a large team (12+), occasionally doing it wasn't a burden.
The assumption no longer holds with 5 people left.

The process did have issues with consistency and there are valid
concerns about whether the people helping with the process had enough
context to be effective too.

>From now on, people triggering builds are responsible for their own
failures. Automated builds will fall to me (Richard).

I'm taking that work on since it underpins the project quality and its
of key importance that the build failures do get handled.

I'd like to thank everyone who worked on the team over the years, it
has been a big help and was much appreciated.

Regards,