[OE-core] Why do we still disable mke2fs 64bit support?

Tom Rini trini at konsulko.com
Thu Oct 24 17:45:52 UTC 2019

On Mon, Oct 21, 2019 at 01:24:40PM +0300, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 21, 2019 at 11:41:49AM +0200, Marco Felsch wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > during a initial system-setup script the mke2fs tools complains about
> > the missing 64bit support:
> >
> > 8<----------------------------------------------------------------------
> > mke2fs 1.44.5 (15-Dec-2018)
> > 64-bit filesystem support is not enabled.  The larger fields afforded by
> > this feature enable full-strength checksumming. Pass -O 64bit to rectify.
> > 8<----------------------------------------------------------------------
> >
> > Other build tools e.g. PTXdist or Buildroot don't modify the build-in
> > config. I know in the early days this feature break something but
> > shouldn't we (re-)think this decision?
>
> Already fixed in zeus:
> https://github.com/openembedded/openembedded-core/commit/f5edce401cfb31ebd0200adaba9a201caf7ea705

I suppose as this point we just hope that there's not going to be still
more boards found in the wild where U-Boot is old enough to silently
corrupt on write or fail to find things on read.

And with my cranky U-Boot hat on, is there another new on-by-default
feature that'll prevent writing (or worse, reading) ext4 again?

--
Tom