[OE-core] inotify-tools: move recipe to oe-core from meta-oe

Randy MacLeod randy.macleod at windriver.com
Tue Oct 29 22:47:46 UTC 2019

On 10/29/19 5:13 PM, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 29, 2019 at 03:39:21PM -0500, Trevor Gamblin wrote:
>> An interface for inotify already exists through pyinotify,
>> but migrating inotify-tools to oe-core provides an option
>> that doesn't rely on python.
>
> pyinotify is in meta-python.
>
> The only option currently in oe-core is to use C,
> which is the standard way to use inotify.
>
> inotify-tools can be useful, but I don't see the rationale
> why it should move from meta-oe to oe-core.

Trevor,

I thought the motivation for moving inotify-tools to oe-core
was:
  a) It's a nice cmdline utility
  b) coreutils ptests needs it.

I think I've mislead you into believing b) since
inotify-tools provides:
   /usr/bin/inotifywait
   /usr/bin/inotifywatch
and I don't see any mention of that in the coreutils/tests directory
or in fact in coreutils.git at all:

$ cd .../coreutils.git
$ grep -r inotifywa * -> NULL

So we need to figure out what the failing coreutils ptests that
involve inotify really need since it seems that it's not inotify-tools.

../Randy

--
# Randy MacLeod
# Wind River Linux