[OE-core] [v2 4/4] valgrind: disable 256 ptests for aarch64

Randy MacLeod randy.macleod at windriver.com
Wed Sep 11 13:38:53 UTC 2019

On 9/11/19 8:32 AM, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 10, 2019 at 05:41:36PM -0400, Randy MacLeod wrote:
>> On qemuarm64 systems, about half of the valgrind tests fail and
>> often result in defunct processes, eg:
>>     root       819   818 25 00:12 pts/0    00:01:52 /usr/bin/valgrind --command-line-only=yes --memcheck:leak-check=no --tool=memcheck -q --track-origins=
>>     root       861   420  0 00:13 pts/0    00:00:00 [sh] <defunct>
>> Eventually these processes use so much memory that the
>> out of memory killer runs.
>>
>> Hide the tests that fail as a horrid work-around until the
>> root cause has been resolved since this at least allows the
>> ptest run to complete.
>
> I can reproduce this on hardware,

Ah good, I was wondering if it was just happening on qemu.

> and I have the bad feeling that no one
> will work on resolving the root cause if this is work-arounded in ptest.
>
> IMHO this should instead be listed as M3 blocker,
> similar to "strace ptest timeout".

Well, I've enabled 100s of tests that were not being run before
and most of them pass for qemux86-64 so I don't think it
should be an M3 blocker like strace since it isn't a regression.

I did start to debug valgrind but it's a bit of a complicated
program and will take time so this work-around makes sense to
me. If no one else gets to it before me, I'll come back to
debugging this issue but likely not before early 3.1.

Thanks,
../Randy

--
# Randy MacLeod