[OE-core] [Openembedded-architecture] Future of sato and X in oe-core

Alexander Kanavin alex.kanavin at gmail.com
Tue Feb 11 17:46:19 UTC 2020

On Tue, 11 Feb 2020 at 16:58, Mark Hatle <mark.hatle at kernel.crashing.org>
wrote:

> I also don't think oe-core itself needs a 'real' UI, and as my previous
> response
> said -- we do need something though to test that the graphical framework is
> working properly.
>
> In the past this often comes back to needing a LOT of a UI in order to
> adequately test all of the components of the system.   If wayland/weston
> has a
> proper test suite that exercises all of the various parts of and pieces of
> the
> systems -- then the need for a UI drops considerably.
>
> (but we still have the need for some sort of example/demostration...)

Wayland/weston do have test suites, neither of which we currently use. I
don't know how much they exercise all the moving parts, but the tests do
exist.

As for the demo/examples, I think we have reached the point where we can
outsource the eye candy to the Internet and not bother with 'apps'.
Specifically, just bundle epiphany/webkit into core-image-weston-demo, and
make a nice looking landing page somewhere on yoctoproject.org that links
to various HD video sites and WebGL demonstrators. As long as both GL and
h.264/whatnot are HW accelerated, this should look and feel fine, even in
qemu with virgl and kvm acceleration to a recent x86 CPU family.

For what it's worth, with my mbition.io hat on, I do not care in the
slightest for X anymore, and wouldn't blink an eye if all of it would
disappear from oe-core tomorrow. What I wanted to gauge is whether people
still use X for *new* product development, and for what reasons, and how
much resistance there is to the idea of switching the default graphical
stack in oe-core to weston.

Alex