[OE-core] what is MACHINE_HWCODECS used for these days?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Fri Feb 14 13:04:49 UTC 2020

  was documenting the use of [EXTRA_]IMAGE_FEATURES, and noticed that
while the oe-core layer defines a related feature:

  core-image.bbclass:FEATURE_PACKAGES_hwcodecs = "${MACHINE_HWCODECS}"
  core-image.bbclass:MACHINE_HWCODECS ??= ""

i see no actual usage of that variable in oe-core (the git log goes
way back to 2013:

  commit 1cb370587fd72e3f0f69678748108cc4116767fb