[OE-core] Overriding SDE_FILE

Joshua Watt jpewhacker at gmail.com
Thu Feb 27 21:49:31 UTC 2020

On 2/27/20 3:22 PM, Douglas Royds wrote:

> On 28/02/20 5:45 am, Joshua Watt wrote:

>>> Having that be the first option makes sense. The only case in which
>>> that might not work, is if a recipe does something like:
>>>
>>>  SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH = "${@my_awesome_sde_calculation(d)}"
>>>
>>> e.g. uses a function to get the SDE instead of setting to a fixed
>>> value, but that's probably going to be extremely rare.

>>> I'm not sure why exactly it is whitelisted; I didn't write the
>>> original code that whitelisted it, but I've CC'd Juro in case he
>>> happens to remember.
>>>
>> After a discussion with Richard, we figured out why SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH
>> has to be whitelisted. The value of the variable *must* be calculable
>> at parse time before any task is ran, but in practice it's value is
>> only available once the __source_date_epoch.txt file is present,
>> which is after parsing. This causes the taskhash to be calculated
>> differently during parsing and task execution which causes taskhash
>> mismatch errors.
>>

> True.
>
> What to do? Would it work to use a different non-whitelisted variable
> in the recipe, eg. SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH_FIXED?

Ya, that would work. You'd have to figure out how to get the variable to
be included in each taskhash even though it's not directly referenced,
but I'm sure that's possible.

Another option that's at lot more "magic" would be something like this:
http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit.cgi/poky-contrib/commit/?h=jpew/reproducible&id=2b524916cf35238ff3deea34017e8a4cd73926cd

That's really weird, and I'm not sure I like it, but worth a thought.