[OE-core] Looking for a way to build latest tagged releases in recipes

Pascal Huerst pascal.huerst at gmail.com
Wed Jan 8 12:10:07 UTC 2020

Hey everyone!

I'm looking for a way in yocto to build tagged releases or actually to
build the newest tagged release from repositories.

There is a way to specify a branch or a tag in a recipe, but no way to
always clone the newest tagged release, that I'm aware of. I submitted a
patch to bitbake's mailing list with a proposal [1], that would use
bitbake's `latest_versionstring()`, to always find, fetch and build the
latest tagged release. Unfortunately there wasn't much of a reaction on
that proposal, so I'm taking a step back, collecting ideas on how this
could be achieved properly.

Please share your ideas...

Thanks!
Pascal