[OE-core] [oe-core] attr dependency on linux-yocto

Ross Burton ross.burton at intel.com
Fri Jan 17 14:23:03 UTC 2020

On 16/01/2020 23:22, Vladimir Molokov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Question about attr. I'm not familiar with it.
>
> On a clean poky is it normal(not a bug?) to have deps such as
>
> "attr.do_build" -> "linux-libc-headers.do_package_write_rpm"
> "attr.do_build" -> "linux-yocto.do_deploy"
> "attr.do_build" -> "linux-yocto.do_package_write_rpm"
>
> How they are appear? I didn't find anything in attr which could be the cause.
> It's just a clean poky from a repo, after . oe-init-build-env and
> bitbake -g attr.
> Appreciate any hints.

It's a long and convoluted dependency chain that only happens if you
have ptest enabled.  I can't recall the exact details but at some point
attr-ptest RDEPENDS on util-linux and util-linux-ptest recommends
kernel-module-scsi-debug.

As bitbake wants to ensure dependencies are satisfiable, building attr
will ensure a kernel is built.

Ross