[OE-core] Building older releases on modern distros (and vice versa)

Richard Purdie richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Sat Jan 18 16:29:24 UTC 2020

On Fri, 2020-01-17 at 14:41 -0800, akuster808 wrote:
> I would like to thank you and Intel for taking up this task even
> thought
> the community seemed to have issues with Centos7 being dropped.
>
> Is there anything community can do at this point?

The work isn't complete, we have a proof of concept so far. The
remaining work:

* forward port the binutils patch and buildtools-tarball changes to
  master
* create some mechanism in the autobuilder-helper to download and
  install (or init if already present) a given buildtools tarball for
  a given host distro before invoking builds.
* build a set of buildtools tarballs that cover the major gcc verions
  we need
* release/publish said tarballs
* add config to the autobuilder for the stable releases we want to
  build using this mechanism.
* potentially test and debug building older releases

Not sure who is going to do this but it isn't trivial and the work
certainly isn't done yet.