[OE-core] [yocto] [zeus] icu-native-64.2-r0 do_configure: configure failed

Martin Jansa martin.jansa at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 18:04:13 UTC 2020

> On 30/10/2019 06:25, star at gmx.li wrote:
> > Build of image failed, I got strange and long error messages like:
> >
> > | from distutils.sysconfig import parse_makefile
> > | ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'distutils.sysconfig'
> > | configure: error: Python failed to run; see above error.
>
> > a) What goes wrong here and how can this be avoid?
>
> distutils.sysconfig is part of the standard Python library.  What
> distribution are you using?  It's possible that you've only got a
> 'minimal' Python installed instead of the full thing.

I came across this old thread when trying "bitbake world" in really
minimalistic docker container with ubuntu-18.04 where I've installed
only the dependencies explicitly checked by sanity check and HOSTTOOLS.

And indeed python3 package in ubuntu doesn't depend on
python3-distutils, I don't know how "standard Python library" is
defined, but this wasn't explicitly "minimal" python, just the default
what you get with python3 in ubuntu.

Maybe it would be worth adding python3native in icu to catch issues like
this?

Luckily it's needed only in zeus, because icu 65.1 currently in
dunfell/master doesn't depend on python3-distutils anymore since:
https://github.com/unicode-org/icu/commit/b4d41b0561b6e8de38b99850ce0e4be8ef536bb1

There is only one more recipe with this issue (at least in the layers i
was testing and that's:
openembedded-core/meta/recipes-core/ovmf/ovmf_git.bb
in zeus as well as master which is explicitly using python3 from host:
export PYTHON_COMMAND = "${HOSTTOOLS_DIR}/python3"

and then fails with: