[OE-core] [Openembedded-architecture] buildtools-extended-tarball wrapping builds

Rich Persaud persaur at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 10:01:47 UTC 2020

On Mar 7, 2020, at 11:17, Richard Purdie <richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just wanted to mention that we now have the ability to wrap builds on
> specific workers with specific buildtools tarballs.
>
> Currently this functionality is in master, we do have the option of
> porting the helper code to other stable branches.
>
> We have had multiple issues, with the infrastucture internal url/cert
> handling, git/cert environment issues, an issue with eSDK testing (next
> has a fix in testing), the crypt fix already submitted (meaning M2's
> tarball doesn't help)  and so on, I'm hoping we've gotten to the bottom
> of those.
>
> This does mean we could drop gcc 4.8/4.9 support if we wanted to and
> rely on the tarball support for centos7/debian8. I'm torn on that, we
> are still missing:
>
> a) Support for wrapping a build with buildtools more auotmatically
> (like we do with uninative)
>
> b) documentation of buildtools-extended-tarball

This would be valuable to wrap older Haskell [1] and Ocaml [2] compilers, which are often challenging to support with newer versions of OE.  I've tested buildtools-extended-tarball with an OpenXT build, but we would need to use an older tarball for the Haskell/Ocaml native compilers.

Rich

[1] https://github.com/OpenXT/meta-openxt-haskell-platform
[2] https://github.com/OpenXT/meta-openxt-ocaml-platform