[OE-core] runqemu nographic and hvc0

Marko, Peter Peter.Marko at siemens.com
Thu Mar 12 15:21:54 UTC 2020

Hi,

I'm trying to boot my own qemu image on zeus branch with "runqemu nographic /path/to/extracted/rootfs" but I have problem that console is flooded with
process '/sbin/getty 115200 hvc0' (pid 383) exited. Scheduling for restart.
starting pid 385, tty '': '/sbin/getty 115200 hvc0'
I'm using yocto qemuarm kernel and qemuarm machine (but it's the same with qemuarm64).

Basically qemuarm machine has
SERIAL_CONSOLES ?= "115200;ttyAMA0 115200;hvc0"
which is transferred to /etc/inittab, however hvc0 device does not exist after booting in nographic mode.

What kind of configuration am I missing in my image?
I think that might be the graphic console which does not exist in nographic mode?
Is there a way to get rid of this problem without breaking graphic mode console?

Thanks,
  Peter