[oe] site/* - using common files for site information

Jamie Lenehan lenehan at twibble.org
Fri Aug 25 09:34:44 UTC 2006

On Fri, Aug 25, 2006 at 09:40:56AM +0100, Richard Purdie wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-08-25 at 18:22 +1000, Jamie Lenehan wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 25, 2006 at 09:08:09AM +0100, Richard Purdie wrote:
> > I changed my mind about a dozen times on this, so seeing what someone
> > else thinks would be good.
>
> I'll try and take a look at the patches this weekend. I can't promise
> but I will try :).

No hurry. I'd had enough of looking at them was all and so figure I
should either throw out or push it of no one else had any comments on
it ;)

[...]
> > The autotools.bbclass then makes use of this to decided which site
> > files to use.
>
> You can argue that both ways. Ultimately, those files are generally used
> by configure which implies autotools but other packages also use them to
> provide supplementary info, just to confuse the issue :). I like the

Right. I focussed too much on the "call it autotools-info" rather
than the "don't call it info cause that's too generic" bit of your
email. I agree with you now that I think about it that way.

> idea of some functions like get_info_endianess_select (although your
> example doesn't quite match with get_info_choice_endianess) and it would
> be good to abstract direct access to the site files.

Duh. I've been unable to decide on what to call the damn thing and
the two diffs were taken a few minutes apart - and I'd renamed it
(again!) during those few minutes.

> I still feel info is too generic as we have 101 different forms of info
> around and we need to find a better more descriptive name.
> config-info.bclass? site-config.bbclass? Calling it autotools-info
> doesn't mean none autotooled packages can't use it btw!

Yep. Agreed. config-info or target-info or something would probably make
more sense.

> > I also made use of the info.bbclass to provide the endiness
> > information to recipes that were currently manaully looking in the
> > site file to determine this (since the way they currently work breaks
> > with the site file.)
>
> Just throwing ideas around, rather than create a function for each
> option like endiness, why not have a variable which contains the
> endiness set by the class and use base_conditional to get the value you
> want? This might make things a little more flexiable?

I didn't know about base_conditional, but now that I look it - yeah
that looks like it's very close to what I was trying to do and it'll
work fine in this case. And pre-loading into variables is probably a
good idea as well.

Thanks.

--
 Jamie Lenehan <lenehan at twibble.org>