[oe] RFC: encourage switch away from heanet.sf.net

Rolf Leggewie no2spam at nospam.arcornews.de
Fri Dec 8 13:15:27 UTC 2006

Hi,

it occurred to me today that Sourceforge is not using that intermediate
page anymore where it lists all the mirrors for a file to be downloaded.
    It used to be necessary that you click on one of the mirrors there
to actually start the download from the browser. Instead they
automatically 302 you now.

Mirrors are there for a reason.  Unfortunately, sf.net forced us in the
past to use heanet.sourceforge.net for download since it was the only
complete mirror.  This is not the case any more, we can use
downloads.sf.net but still be sure to get the files we need (assuming
that sf.net will only redirect us to mirrors that *do* have the file).

I therefore suggest to change bitbake.conf in the following way and
request your comments on the matter (especially from hrw since RP
suggested you are the most knowledgeable about sf.net and the
associated, past problems).  This would set the IMHO sane default from
which users can still deviate via local.conf and site.conf

- SOURCEFORGE_MIRROR = "http://heanet.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge"
+ SOURCEFORGE_MIRROR = "http://downloads.sf.net"

For what it is worth, I for one have switched (via site.conf so far).

Regards

Rolf