[oe] RFC: encourage switch away from heanet.sf.net

Rolf Leggewie no2spam at nospam.arcornews.de
Sat Dec 9 10:35:36 UTC 2006

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer wrote:
>> Instead they automatically 302 you now.
>
> If that's true, then +1 from me.

It seems they do.  And a sample session I wanted to provide as proof
apparently also revealed how they deal with the situation that a mirror
does not have the file.  I post only the relevant lines here.

$ wget http://downloads.sf.net/gakusei/qpf-unismall-100_1.0.0-r0_all.ipk
HTTP Anforderung gesendet, warte auf Antwort... 302 Found
Platz:
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/gakusei/qpf-unismall-100_1.0.0-r0_all.ipk
HTTP Anforderung gesendet, warte auf Antwort... 302 Found
Platz:
http://ovh.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/gakusei/qpf-unismall-100_1.0.0-r0_all.ipk
HTTP Anforderung gesendet, warte auf Antwort... 200 OK

302 twice, then 200 from ovh.  Download successful.

$ rm qpf-unismall-100_1.0.0-r0_all.ipk
http://puzzle.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/gakusei/qpf-unismall-100_1.0.0-r0_all.ipk
HTTP Anforderung gesendet, warte auf Antwort... 302 Found
Platz:
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/gakusei/qpf-unismall-100_1.0.0-r0_all.ipk?download&failedmirror=puzzle.dl.sourceforge.net
HTTP Anforderung gesendet, warte auf Antwort... 301 Moved Permanently
Platz:
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/gakusei/qpf-unismall-100_1.0.0-r0_all.ipk?download&failedmirror=puzzle.dl.sourceforge.net
HTTP Anforderung gesendet, warte auf Antwort... 302 Found
Platz:
http://osdn.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/gakusei/qpf-unismall-100_1.0.0-r0_all.ipk
HTTP Anforderung gesendet, warte auf Antwort... 200 OK

302 twice to puzzle which does not have the file and thus 302's again to
prdownloads.  There is an added attribute that this file failed for the
mirror and I assume that downloads.sf.net will act on that information
for future downloads.  prdownloads sets a 301, we get another 302 and
then osdn answers the request.  In some cases quite a few hops but it
seems to work.

Out of curiousity, I tested out what happens with files that are not on
the sf.net network.  It seems that one of two things happens.  If heanet
is the first mirror being redirected to and it cannot find the file, it
will answer with a 404 itself.  Otherwise, if some other mirror is used
first, prdownloads will redirect to osdn which will redirect again to
prdownloads with &failedmirror=osdn.dl.sourceforge.net.  A 404 is the
answer.