[oe] Self hosted build of OE

Marcin Juszkiewicz openembedded at hrw.one.pl
Mon Dec 18 14:38:26 UTC 2006

Hi

During weekend I was working on getting self hosted build of OpenEmbedded.
I built Angstrom-2007.1 for progear and chrooted into resulting image.
Then installed some packages, copied OE metadata, archives for SRC_URI and
finished 'bitbake nano' build.

Some packages was needed to be installed - I added them into new task
named 'task-self-hosting' which should contain everything needed to get
self hosted build running.

But there are some problems:

1. glibc-utils/rpcgen require 'cpp'

This can be solved by adding RDEPENDS_glibc-utils = "cpp" into glibc.bb
recipe. But this is theory because we need 'glibc' to build 'gcc' so
dependency chain is result.

2. glibc-dev 'conflict' libc-linux-headers-dev

Few headers exists in both packages - I do not know which one are more
important. In my build I forced glibc-dev ones.

3. binutils-symlinks 'conflict' busybox (and elfutils)

#1465 has details

4. subversion has problems with building - I need to check do I have some
not-yet-commited patches for apr(-util) and subversion.

5. Perl is too granulated - I installed all 861 perl packages to get
quilt-native happy instead of checking which are needed.

--
JID: hrw-jabber.org
OpenEmbedded developer/consultant

       We're here to give you a computer, not a religion.
       		-- Bob Pariseau, at the introduction of the Amiga