[oe] A question of workflow

jack-oe at mudshark.org jack-oe at mudshark.org
Sun Dec 31 02:41:26 UTC 2006

On Sat, Dec 30, 2006 at 07:19:29PM +0000, Richard Purdie wrote:

> What you've described is how I or any other OE developer with an
> authorised monotone key would work with OE. The problem is we can't just
> give access to anyone as that wouldn't make any sense for obvious
> reasons.

Monotone supports trust relations[0] as well as netsync access controls[1].

Netsync access controls are primarily to prevent someone trashing your
repository. OE restricts write access to the repository on openembedded.org.

Trust relations are orthogonal to access control. Monotone allows you to only
trust revisions committed by certain users(keys).

In the case of a single trusted repository, that only a certain number of
developers have write access to -- they're the same thing.

However, in the case where you have multiple repositories, with different
permissions, things can get complicated. There is work ongoing in monotone to
make this simpler[2].

> It does mean you shouldn't be committing changes locally via monotone.
> If you do this you will have to pull and then merge every time. That
> isn't a problem in itself but if you do get direct commit access, we
> will not be happy adding hundreds of extra merges to the main
> repository.

Yeah. Or commit your changes to a private branch, and 'propagate' changes there
from the main branch.

The monotone wiki has a series of (incomplete) best practices[3]. Important are
DaggyFixes[4], and CommitEarlyCommitOften[5]..

Cheers,

--Jack

[0] http://venge.net/monotone/wiki/TrustFoundations
[1] section 6.1.3 of http://venge.net/monotone/docs/Hooks.html
[2] http://venge.net/monotone/wiki/VersionedPolicy
[3] http://venge.net/monotone/wiki/BestPractices
[4] http://venge.net/monotone/wiki/DaggyFixes
[3] http://venge.net/monotone/wiki/CommitEarlyCommitOften

--
Jack (John) Cummings                           http://mudshark.org/
PGP fingerprint: 0774 D073 E386 B70B 6B16  2D2B 1DD8 F8B0 CCF0 FAEE