[oe] [RFC] Removing MAINTAINER field from recipes

Paul Sokolovsky pmiscml at gmail.com
Tue Oct 10 16:08:14 UTC 2006

Hello Graeme,

> A suggestion as to a possible format for MAINTAINERS file.

> I tried to be machine parsable and human parsable.

> DEVELOPER {
> NAME="Koen Kooi"
> NICK="koen"
> EMAIL="Koen Kooi <koen at openembedded.org>
> MACHINE="h2200 ipaq-pxa270"
> DISTRO="angstrom.*"
> RECPIPES="gnome/.* gnumeric/.*"
> }

  Well, just a note: this seems just like *too much machine* parsable
;-). As far as got from idea of removing the var, intention of the
list to be machine parsable was simple things, like sorting it
in some order or rendering in HTML. Not being able to write
a script which, for any given package, will return a maintainer for
it. In other words, I understood that intention was that maintainer
list's contents were intended for human consumption, and only syntax
of it should be machine-readable.

  Because otherwise, MAINTAINER field could have stayed the way it
was.

  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Marcin Juszkiewicz wrote:

> Person:     Koen Kooi
> Mail:       koen at openembedded.org
> Website:    http://dominion.kabel.utwente.nl/koen/cms
> Machines:   h2200, ipaq-pxa270, efika, ep93xx, netbook-pro
> Distros:    Angstrom
> Recipes:    OpenSync,, GNOME, GPE, Matchbox
> Recipes:    abiword, bootchart, dia, farsight, freeciv, fuse, galago, geda,
> Recipes:    gimp, gnumeric, (g)obby, imposter, inkscape
> Recipes:    telepathy, tilibs, xchat, xournal.

> Cheers

Best regards,
 Paul                            mailto:pmiscml at gmail.com