[oe] distcc for bitbake

DecemberSoul at gmx.de DecemberSoul at gmx.de
Fri Oct 13 12:46:55 UTC 2006

Hello
It is my first post on this list, so please be considerately.
I would like to use distcc for my bitbake.
On my local copy, with some hacks, it works fine. (until the next update)

Here is my way:

distccd was installed (apt-get install distcc) and started on Host1, Host2 and Host3
All hosts have the cross compiler mipsel-linux-gcc in the global PATH (or a symlink from /usr/local/bin/mipsel-linux-gcc to the cross compiler)

I have created a directory:
/bla/distcc/bin
   mipsel-linux-c++ -> /usr/bin/distcc
   mipsel-linux-cc -> /usr/bin/distcc
   mipsel-linux-g++ -> /usr/bin/distcc
   mipsel-linux-gcc -> /usr/bin/distcc

If I compile a Project by calling make(without bitbake) I can use
export PATH=/bla/distcc/bin:$PATH
make -j6 CC=mipsel-linux-gcc

make will call mipsel-linux-gcc from my path which points to distcc.
distcc will schedule the tasks to all known hosts.
-j6 will create 6 instances of make.
It works fine.

But now I want to use distcc with bitbake.
I know how to use -j6 with bitbake.
Just use "export PARALLEL_MAKE=-j6"

But how to use export PATH=/bla/distcc/bin:$PATH with bitbake.
The "distcc/bin" MUST stand in front of the PATH.
But bitbake will place the $PATH_prepend (placed in org.openembedded.dev/conf/bitbake.conf) in front of the $PATH. My hack is now to include "/bla/distcc/bin" in front of $PATH_prepend.
It works, but it is not nice.

So please tell me where can I put it.

Best regards
Patrick