[oe] What is task-base?

Richard Purdie rpurdie at rpsys.net
Mon Oct 16 07:17:46 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-10-16 at 00:29 +0200, Koen Kooi wrote:
> Op ma, 16-10-2006 te 01:02 +0300, schreef Paul Sokolovsky:
>
> >    If it can be made so clean, why do we have so tangled configs for
> > many machines, at least for PocketPC-based?
>
> Historical reason, and we'd welcome a cleanup

Agreed.

> > For example, I doubt it's good idea to have IMAGE_FSTYPES
> > in machine configs - how that can be machine's property?
>
> Some bootloaders can be quite demanding, like the one for the spitz
> machine only likes tar.gz, not tar.bz2. It should be overridable,
> though.

Most of the Zaurus machines set that and its valid as the image type is
the one supported by the bootloader. Its not something I'd recommend in
general but makes sense there. (tar.gz for spitz, jffs2 for c7x0,
poodle, akita). After the machine sets it the distro and/or the user in
local.conf is free to alter or probably best of all append to the
variable.

Richard