[oe] [RFC] Annotate machines with amount of RAM

Paul Sokolovsky pmiscml at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 21:23:11 UTC 2006

Hello Koen,

> Michael 'Mickey' Lauer schreef:

>> Which features do we need to describe? At first glance, I could think
>> about
>>
>> VOLATILE_STORAGE_SIZE (RAM)
>> NON_VOLATILE_STORAGE_SIZE (Flash, HD, etc.)
>> DISPLAY_TYPE (Touchscreen or not)
>> DISPLAY_RESOLUTION

> and please let us not fall in to the same trap over and over again by ignoring DPI. My
> a780 and h2200 are both qvga, but it's 100dpi versus 160dpi, which makes a huge difference.

  Still, exact pixel resolution is primary thing from the software
point fo view ;-). But I guess, current GUI_MACHINE_CLASS indeed may
survive some more time.

>> We shouldn't stop here. With several groups working on device daemon
>> standards towards interoperable platforms, it could make sense to
>> describe
>>
>> INPUT_METHODS
>>
>> as well (buttons, keyboard, touchscreen, microphone).

> MACHINE_FEATURES = "keyboard" exists :)

  touchscreen, too. But "buttons" and "microphone" would be nice
additions.

>> Last but not least GSM and (A)GPS should make its way into
>> MACHINE_FEATURES pretty soon as well...

> Right, I nuked smartphone-common.conf today and I was thinking how to funnel it into
> task-base :)

  Well, I'd say, the benefits of task-base are now pretty visible!

--
Best regards,
 Paul                            mailto:pmiscml at gmail.com