[oe] RFC: More granular libraries packaging

Richard Purdie rpurdie at rpsys.net
Tue Oct 31 16:17:16 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-10-27 at 18:01 +0200, Marcin Juszkiewicz wrote:
> One of our strong points is granular packaging. We have extra packages for
> locales, documentation, development stuff etc. But we can improve it a bit
> more.
>
> Many packages has multiple libraries in package. Not everytime it is
> useful - for example libusb had dependency on libstdc++ just because it
> had libusbpp in same package as libusb.
>
> My proposition is - let split each library to separate package. This will
> enlarge feeds (so ipkg will get hurt more ;( but in some situations can
> give us smaller rootfs.

In some specific cases, splitting packaging per lib makes a lot of
sense. I'd certainly agree in the case of libusb. I'm not sure splitting
all libs is a good idea though as most libs packages are currently
interdependent and there is nothing to be gained by splitting.

I'm therefore thinking of an opt in class/PACKAGEFUNC to handle this
only in the cases we identify as needing it but others seem to have a
different opinion :)

Richard