[oe] Improving consistency

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer mickey at tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de
Mon Sep 4 13:22:28 UTC 2006

Am Montag, den 04.09.2006, 15:18 +0200 schrieb Øyvind Repvik:
> Michael 'Mickey' Lauer wrote:
> > Hi developers,
> >
> > when you are adding new versions of a bitbake recipe, please
> > take a chance to reorder the metadata according to the
> > "standard" layout found in http://openembedded.org/wiki/StyleGuide
> >

> Question from the curious:
>
> Tabs should not be used (use spaces instead). <-- Why is this?

The major problem with tabs is that their appearance depends
on the user's setting (e.g. 4 spaces / 8 spaces per tab), whereas
a fixed number of spaces look the same everywhere
(given a fixed-width font, of course).

When people with 4-spaces-per-tab are editing recipes from people
with 8-spaces-per-tab everything gets messed up. This is why I like
to recommend using all spaces.

--
Regards,

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer | FreeLancer | http://www.Vanille-Media.de