[oe] BitTest advertisement

Holger Freyther freyther at inf.fu-berlin.de
Sat Sep 9 22:04:08 UTC 2006

Hi,

after having posted results of BitTest and it being available from
BitBake SVN for almost a year I had to recognize it was almost unknown.

What is BitTest?
	- BitTest allows to parse BitBake files and to run checks in many
different configurations on the data.
	- We have checks to check if patches apply, source is available, -
native packages depending on non-native packages, sections, license,
etc. are right...
	- One can easily write new tests by implementing your own module.
Even a skeleton exists.
	- BitTest can write the test result into a txt file or send it as a
report to the TinderBox
	- One can easily write new output formats
	- It uses default BitBake classes to load, parse and execute tasks

Issues of BitTest:
	As it uses the BitBake library PYTHONPATH had to be set correctly to
point to bitbake/lib and BBPATH had to point to the bitbake_qa
directory and the OpenEmbedded meta-data. Also a testrun.conf had to
be written. This file is needed if you want to run tests for more
than one TARGET_OS, TARGET_ARCH, DISTRO or MACHINE at once. A big
iron could run a specific check for all machine and distro
combinations we currently have.

As people started to reinvent the wheel I decided to remove this tool
from SVN as it went unnoticied anyway, as configuration seemed to be
too hard I have writen 'bittest_signle' which tries to set the
PYTHONPATH manually and extracts the current configuration
(TARGET_ARCH,TARGET_OS,MACHINE and DISTRO) from local.conf (we can't
load bitbake.conf as openzaurus.inc resets DISTRO...)

How to get it:
	You can currently get it from here http://handhelds.org/~zecke/
bitbake-qa-0.1.tar.bz2 until I have found a better home

How to use it:
	- Make sure bitbake is in your PATH (e.g. adding bitbake/bin)
	- Make sure bittest    is in your PATH
	- Make sure BBPATH is setup properly
	- Make sure you have a local.conf

	Invoking "bitest_single -r TestReportTinder  depends_checker" will
check all BBFILES and send the test result to the tinderbox (if you
have setup local.conf correctly)

peace and pleasure
	h.