[oe] kernel vs. binutils: .exit.text problem

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer mickey at tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de
Mon Sep 18 21:43:36 UTC 2006

I'm building a 2.6.17.7 kernel for arm using gcc 4.1.1 and binutils
2.17:

| make[1]: Leaving directory kernel-2.6.17.7 |   LD      .tmp_vmlinux1
| `.exit.text' referenced in section `.init.text' of drivers/built-in.o:
defined in discarded section `.exit.text' of drivers/built-in.o
| make: *** [.tmp_vmlinux1] Error 1

The same kernel is compiled fine (and runs, btw.) w/ binutils 2.15.94.1.

I can't downgrade binutils because the older binutils don't compile
other stuff w/ recent gcc's. binutils 2.16 even SIGSEGVs for some
packages.

Older binutils treated this as a warning, not an error. Do you have any
idea how I could revert binutils 2.17 to this behaviour? Or
alternatively, how can I find and fix the offending
driver in the said kernel?

--
Regards,

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer | FreeLancer | http://www.Vanille-Media.de