[oe] [oe-commits] org.oe.dev prismstumbler: add 0.7.4pre1

Paul Sokolovsky pmiscml at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 10:00:33 UTC 2007

Hello Florian,

> Hi,

> Koen Kooi schrieb:
>> That is against our versioning policy, this way you can't upgrade to 0.7.4 when it gets
>> released[1]. Use _0.7.3+0.7.4pre1 instead.

> I remember we had these kind of trouble with ipkg before.

  Why we and why ipkg? Any packaging system which tries to do its work
well hits into such issues. In this regard, OE follows Debian's way to
handle this. (Even though I was unable to find exact best
practices to resolve such cases, they only mumble that it should be
done: http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-binary.html#s-versions ;
anyway, + notation is what actually being used).

  I'm not sure how other packaging systems solve this, for example,
look at FC6 RPM pile shows that they have *pre* stuff without clearly
distinguishable pattern of handling it syntactically. But it's known
where that leads to - to inability to upgrade to a new distro release.

--
Best regards,
 Paul                            mailto:pmiscml at gmail.com