[oe] [RFC] Adding sanity to OE startup process

Rod Whitby rod at whitby.id.au
Thu Apr 5 21:36:13 UTC 2007

Paul Sokolovsky wrote:
>   So, to start with, I'd like to propose to make it possible for boot
> process to log to syslog. I have following in mind:
>
> 4. Make /etc/init.d/syslogd.sh start earlier so it could capture as
> mush output as possible.

This is something that the syslog.file, syslog.buffer and syslog.network
scripts in packages/slugos-init/files/initscripts try to do.  Syslog to
buffer is started *as* *early* as possible.  Syslog to file is started
as soon as filesystems are mounted, and Syslog to network is started as
soon as the network is up.

[I'm not suggesting you copy those files directly, or use the
slugos-init package - this all needs to be generalised and subsumed into
the standard init package as part of the slugos reincorporation into
general OE.]

The packages/initscripts/initscripts-slugos_1.0.bb file will show the
init ordering changes that we did to make sure syslog started as early
as possible to help with debugging on a machine (NSLU2) which does not
have a user-visible console at all.

[Again, that recipe still needs to be subsumed into OE proper, so I will
be very interested in working with you to effectively replace the
initscripts-slugos recipe with a new improved initscripts recipe that
suits everyone.]

-- Rod