[oe] update-alternatives-dpkg problems

Rodrigo Vivi rodrigo.vivi at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 23:32:32 UTC 2007

Hi all,

/*Error 1*/

All the postinst scripts are using update-alternatives like this:

update-alternatives --install ${base_bindir}/gzip gzip gzip.${PN} 100

Then the update-alternatives-dpkg gets gzip.${PN} (actually gzip.gzip)
as it $apath
and creates the symbolic link:

/etc/alternatives/gzip -> gzip.gzip

But this symbolic link does not work... it shoud be

/etc/alternatives/gzip -> /bin/gzip.gzip

is it an error of update-alternatives script or an error of all
postinst scripts?
any idea how to fix it?

/*Error 2*/

Another error that I've found at update-alternatives-dpkg is the
$dpkglibdir variable that is hardcoded to ../utils when it should be
/usr/lib/dpkg

For a while, I've added to do_patch() function of
update-alternatives-dpkg a sed to change it in place... But I'm sure
that this is not a good fix...
any idea how to do it better?

Thanks,
vivijim at #oe