[oe] [RFC] Cleaning up service handling in OE

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer mickey at vanille-media.de
Tue Apr 10 11:25:39 UTC 2007

Thanks for raising this issue, Paul.

The state of the service handling in OE has buggered me since long,
not just because of the (very valid) points you mentioned, but also
because of their relationship to sysvinit -- the initscripts are just
too specialized in my opinion.

One example: I can see OpenMoko moving to another sysinit scheme,
most likely upstart. Now how are we (OE) supposed to support that
while keeping sysinit support updated at the same time.

We should do it like we support different packaging systems and image
types -- let me propose going to a more high level description for service
handling and having a bbclass (INHERIT += sysvinit or INHERIT +=
upstart) parsing this description and emitting
the actual init scripts.

What do you think?

Regards,

:M: