[oe] deterministic OE builds - multiple providers

Leon Woestenberg leon.woestenberg at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 09:00:15 UTC 2007

Richard,

On 4/11/07, Richard Purdie <rpurdie at rpsys.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-04-11 at 10:32 +0200, Leon Woestenberg wrote:
> > In tracking down a host dependency I found that in cases where
> > multiple providers are present, the behaviour is undeterministic, i.e.
> > a provider is picked more or less randomly.
>
> Which bitbake version is this with? Later versions should have more
> deterministic handling that older versions.

Revision: 812

I tried multiple, also 1.6, same issues remain.

Some issues:

My private bitbake collection has customized copies of upstream .bb.
Although my private bitbake collection has a higher priority, I
noticed bitbake "randomly" selecting either the upstream or local
collection for packages which have multiple providers left.

In one case (ixp4xx-kernel) if I run "bitbake ixp4xx-kernel -c patch",
then "bitbake ixp4xx-kernel" it selects my private .bb for the first
bitbake, and then selects the upstream .bb for the second bitbake
build.

One machine notes about multiple providers for kernel-image-, whereas
the other does not.

They run the exact same copies of the upstream sources, local
collection and the  bitbake tool.

Regards,
--
Leon