[oe] RPATH in shared libraries

Leon Woestenberg leon.woestenberg at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 21:33:26 UTC 2007

During an strace run on my target, I noticed a considerable amount of
attempts to load shared libraries from their RPATH location (which is
the preferred location over what the linker thinks).

objdump -x libfontconfig.so.1  | grep RPATH
/home/leon/sandbox/e520/openembedded/build/tmp/staging/i686-angstrom-linux/lib

This results in considerable overhead during loading of shared libraries.

Koen secretly told me that there had been a masterplan amongst those
who may call themselves core developer to fix these paths.

I'm curious about what the fix would incur.

Also, might these RPATH's actually help when I am remotely debugging
using GDB, helping GDB find debugging info, or not?

Thanks for any hints on this,

Regards,
--
Leon