[oe] RFC: Recent insane.bbclass / RPATH issues need attention

Leon Woestenberg leon.woestenberg at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 21:40:01 UTC 2007

Hello,

the current insane.bbclass *behaviour* is bad (insane.bbclass itself is good!):

- insane.bbclass will detect invalid rpath and error (bitbake will bail out).
- *however*, on a new bitbake run, no errors are reported and the
build happily continues, *but* the invalid file is never
staged/installed.

This gives me similar errors as also reported on IRC:

sirfred> I don't know why, but gcc-cross didn't generate for me
neither libgcc nor libstdc++

Alternative approaches from here:

0) Leave as is.

1) The correct behaviour would be that subsequent bitbake runs *also* error out.

2) We regard invalid RPATHs only as a warning, so that the files *do*
get installed.

3) We do not use insane.bbclass by default in the distro's.

4) We fix the invalid RPATHs soon.

I only think I can (2) or (3) done soon, I'm struggling to get (4)
implemented, did not try (1).

(0) is not an option because resulting images will miss important
files, resulting in bogus error reports.

Regards,
--
Leon