[oe] Gstreamer and rpath

Michael Krelin hacker at klever.net
Thu Aug 2 15:26:07 UTC 2007

>>> But Angstrom uses 4.1.2 as default, isn't it? And it compiles everything
>>> correctly (except qemu).
>> OE != angstrom
>
> Yes. But it means, that !angstrom may also succeed with a newer gcc.

You're not talking about gcc upgrade, but rather about different
approach to the whole crossbuild.

> There are three chances for --sysroot:
>
> - All OE projects will upgrade to gcc >= 3.4.

Including sharprom compatible build, that requires 2.95 or something.

> - Keep libtool hacks optional for distros using older gcc versions.
> - Write wrappers on top of old gcc to implement the most important
> parts of --sysroot (rewriting of -L and -I paths and use of
> -nostdinc). (~15 lines in bash or sh+sed).

That may be possible even with rearranged staging, indeed, but again,
you agreed it's more complicated that it seemed to you at the first glance.

I'm not taking the symlink workaround seriously, because inventing one
workaround to get rid of the other isn't going to get us anywhere.

Love,