[oe] Gstreamer and rpath

Michael Krelin hacker at klever.net
Fri Aug 3 09:34:49 UTC 2007

>>> I'm actually semi against forcing staging to look like an image. The
>>> fact gcc requires this for its sysroot option is a sign that they
>>> haven't got this right yet.
>>>
>> Why?
>
> Well, why should I put libs in a /usr/lib directory rather that /lib? I
> know there are guidelines but guidelines are one thing, forcing layouts
> is a different thing.

Good question, thought doesn't have much to do with sysroot facility.
You have exactly the same freedom like you would have with no sysroot,
you're free to install in /usr, in / or in /do-not-enforce-layout/
prefix. The only difference is that you don't have to adjust your paths
to take staging prefix into account and you are not likey to pick up
your host system stuff while compiling.

About getting 'sysroot' right... Doesn't the name imply using in sysroot
the same layout like you would otherwise?

> It was once hoped that by changing variables like libdir, bindir, prefix
> in bitbake.conf you could change your system layout. People could then
> customise their images that way. I realise there are difficulties with
> that in practise as some things are hardcoded and it won't work straight
> away at present but if we start using the sysroot option I doubt it will
> ever work.

And of course you still have your libdir/bindir/prefix, etc.

Love,