[oe] fakeroot 1.7.1 & LT_INIT?

Mike (mwester) mwester at dls.net
Tue Aug 7 04:42:03 UTC 2007

Background: fakeroot is misbehaving on my system (it gets confused with its
inode cache, and attempts to pass off a file as a directory, which causes
mkfs.jffs2 to fail (among other things)).  Upgrading fakeroot to 1.7.1 seems
to resolve this problem.

Do_configure fails with 1.7.1; it attempts to create a configure script from
the configure.ac file, but cannot expand the following two lines in
configure.ac:

LT_INIT
LT_LANG(C)

Because it's just the way I am (yes, as a kid I stuck a knife into an
electrical socket just to see what would happen), I deleted those two lines
from configure.ac and tried again.  Somewhat to my surprise, nothing
broke -- it works just fine that way (unlike placing a butter knife in an
outlet - that did not work so very well).

So the question: do those lines do anything that matters to us, and can I
commit the updated recipe for fakeroot 1.7.1?  Or is there something else I
should do to make the autotools happy with the LT_* stuff?

Thanks,
Mike (mwester)