[oe] STAGING_LIBDIR_NATIVE needed in bitbake.conf

Mike (mwester) mwester at dls.net
Tue Aug 7 20:28:14 UTC 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Purdie" <rpurdie at rpsys.net>
To: <openembedded-devel at openembedded.org>
Sent: Tuesday, August 07, 2007 7:27 AM
Subject: Re: [oe] STAGING_LIBDIR_NATIVE needed in bitbake.conf

> I'm convinced, it make sense. Feel free to add STAGING_LIBDIR_NATIVE and
> then use it in the ncurses bb file (maybe mention in a comment there is
> a util used in do_install which needs to find libraries from
> ncurses-native).
>
> In fact this raises the question of whether that should be set globally?

It seems logical to me that it should be global -- if something lives in
STAGING_BINDIR_NATIVE, it stands to reason that it should prefer to link to
shared libraries that have been staged along with it.  Making this global
(by manually setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH before a build) has been tested by a
number of folks on different distros, and works fine.

Just to satisfy my own curiosity, I did a bit of checking with ldd on the
contents of STAGING_BINDIR_NATIVE, and it reveals that for SlugOS, only the
ncurses build is affected at present.

So we could go either way.

I edited bitbake.conf and added:

    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH_prepend = "${STAGING_LIBDIR_NATIVE}:"

but that doesn't seem to have any effect.  :-(  I presume that the logic is
missing to handle this variable.  Using:

    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH = "${STAGING_LIBDIR_NATIVE}"

works fine, though.  However, that line ignores the existing
LD_LIBRARY_PATH, and I've not found the magic incantation to make bitbake do
the shell equivalent of
LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/new/prepended/path:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH".  Everything obvious
I've tried with my limited bitbake skills has resulted in something
complaining about the expansion in some way.

  I would prefer to leave ncurses.bb alone, and fix it globally -- how
should we do that, then: pursue the "_prepend" approach, or just explicitly
set it in bitbake.conf?

  Or is there a nice class somewhere that we can add some logic to do this
(I didn't find it yet!)?

Thanks,
Mike (mwester)