[oe] [RFC] a small bbclass for task recipes

Richard Purdie rpurdie at rpsys.net
Sat Aug 11 12:43:41 UTC 2007

Hi,

On Sat, 2007-08-11 at 12:20 +0200, pHilipp Zabel wrote:
> Ah, great. I guessed something similar would have to exist, as the process would
> be pretty much the same as for usual -dbg packages, right?

Yes, its exactly the same.

> I was just wondering because most of the packages that explicitly set
> the PACKAGES variable in OE overwrite it completely, thus disabling
> -dev and -dbg.

They shouldn't do that.

> The code you speak of is not enabled for OE.dev as far as I can see,
> for example all angstrom -dbg task packages have the same dependencies
> as the main ones.
> How can I enable this?

It looks to be enabled already in OE.dev:

DEPCHAIN_POST = "-dbg -dev" in bitbake.conf

> Yes, and in a few places PACKAGE_ARCH is set to "${MACHINE_ARCH}" although
> it should be kept at "all" and only some subpackages should be marked
> as machine specific. I think "all" is a sane default.

I'm not 100% sure. Would debian renaming work differently on different
ARCHS for example?

> Now my question is, do you, too, like the idea of introducing another
> bbclass for those defaults? :)

I'm not agsinst it but I'm not sure I see the point for a file that will
be two lines long. How much code do we have for it?

> I guess it should to something like
> PACKAGES = "${PN} ${PN}-dbg ${PN}-dev" or not touch packages at all,
> if the code also works for -doc and -locale and enable that code,
> however it is done.

PACKAGES shouldn't need touching. Empty -doc and -locale packages won't
get created.

Cheers,

Richard