[oe] [Angstrom-devel] RFC: Add ipkg to minimal image

Koen Kooi k.kooi at student.utwente.nl
Sun Dec 2 08:17:01 UTC 2007

Rod Whitby schreef:
> Rod Whitby wrote:
>> I just realised that minimal-image.bb doesn't include ipkg, whereas the
>> first image which does include ipkg (console-image) includes a whole lot
>> of other stuff which could be installed using ipkg after first boot and
>> network access, and which make the image too big for a machine with
>> limited flash space (like an NSLU2).
>
> RFC #1:
>> Is there a reason why minimal-image does not include ipkg?  What exactly
>> is the definition of what should be in minimal-image which excludes the
>> ability to install further packages?

Marcin and I had a discussion about that, but I can't remember the
outcome. So "I have no strong opinions on that".

> RFC #2:
>> Does anyone object to me adding ipkg support to minimal-image?

I'll stick with "I have no strong opinions on that". :)

> OK, of course the choice of ipkg as the package manager is
> distro-specific, and depends on the distro including feed configuration
> (although just having a package manager on hand even with a feed
> configuration would be a useful addition to a minimal image).
>
> So my revised RFC #2 is to add a DISTRO_PACKAGE_MANAGER variable, which
> DISTROs define

DISTRO_PACKAGE_MANAGER is in package-space, so it should only show up in
R*, right? Sounds like a pretty good idea. As a side note, distros will
need to do more than that to switch packageformat or packagemanager, but
that's outside the scope of this discussion.

regards,

Koen